Saturday, January 21, 2006

The back from the antique quilt ....





I was forgotten to take pictures from the back of the antique quilt I show you last . And the back is just as interesting as the front!!!! If you enlarge the pictures you will see that she handquilted it on pieces of old cloths or feedsacks ! I see double pairs of quiltstiches ! Why was she doing it ? did she stich before to be sure that the piece won't remove?? .. It is so interesting. The quilt is not filled with batting .When I am in the shop I need everytime to take a look at this quilt :c)
In the book "Liberated sting quilts"from Gwen Marston you can see on page 7 a quilt wich is made the same way.

Lucy

6 comments:

cher said...

oh double stitching-some fabric has a tendency to fray, maybe that is why the double stitching-for added strength. How fun to see an antique pieced back! thanks for posting the photo...

Nines said...

It reminds me of shirting. Bet Bonnie'll love it. I'm so sorry that your dad is again in the medical revolving door. We will hope for the best and keep him in our prayers. The tiny hexagons look just like something you would do!! They're you! Nina

Tina said...

Lucy I am so sorry to hear about your Dad's cancer. I have just finished chemo therapy for ovarian cancer for the second time, were still waiting to hear if I'm in remission. I will keep your father in my prayers. I also wanted to tell you how much I have enjoyed your blog and visiting all of your quilting projects. Tina

Dawn said...

Oh I just love that quilt! I have to make one like that someday - and now I have to pull my liberated strings book out to see the picture your talking about!

Tonya R said...

Not only did the quiltmaker not use batting, looks like she didn't use a backing. She foundation pieced on the odd pieces of fabric and left it at that. Fascinating. Adn the quilt has held up so well. It really must be a treat to see this quilt in the shop all the time.

Bonnie said...

I DO love the back of these quilts! I love seeing that they used every little piece they could to make something so beautiful....

Bonnie