Monday, January 23, 2006

Isis

I have 3 daughters and a son .The oldest daughter is not interesting in quilting or something to do with a needle .. the other daughter tried once , like it but like the tv and computer more and then I have my youghest daughter Isis who loves the needle .Well today she was the only kid in the house who was this afternoon free from school. And she thought it would be nice that I learned her quilting. She have already made pincushions on the sewing machine , so I thought it was a good idea. First we take a look if she can push the gas from the electric sewing machine. Nop she is to small for that . Her feet bungle under the chair. So we decided to use the old machine .

Now we have a very ,very cocky daughter and a mom who is learning her sewing ...let's go !!!!






I cut for her from my old fabric squares ( she need to try it first .... ) and she sew them two on two together :c)







Look here she is chainpiecing. Before she finished this,I may not tell her how to do .. she told me that she have always seen how I do it and she thought it would be nicer if I am doing my own project ... I said oké ( knowing that it won't work because she need help........ ) and yes after a few minutes she asked for help.















But she is a fast learner and yes there are two rows together :c)





Look at her tiny hands so sweet .......

( and believe me she is the whole afternoon talking ,talking , saying she can do all by herself, etc.. etc... )










Her other hand is turning and turning ....and her mouth is talking and talking ....... but......













Ta Dahhhhh....

A quilter is born !!!!!!!


( and her mom have a headache from all listen to her talking and hearing "NO I can do that by myself")

23 comments:

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Oh my goodness - I didn't realize that she was using a hand crank machine until the 5th picture! I don't think I would have enough co-ordination to manage that. She looks sooo proud! What a wonderful first project - you did a great job getting all the photos.

Cheers!

Evelyn

dot said...

I am so impressed. What a beatiful quilt and such a big smile to go with it. We have a new expert quilter in the making. Keep up the good work.

Dawn said...

Oh Isis is sooo adorable! My youngest one is the only one who is interested in quilting also. She made several quilts until she turned a teenager - then it wasn't cool to be like mom. So I"m just waiting for her to like it again! Isis is beautiful and she has an adorable quilt that she made!

JudyL said...

Lucy! That is wonderful. She is so cute and now she is a beautiful quilter! :)

You have adorable pictures of Isis making her first quilt!

Judy L.

Patty said...

what a beautiful daughter and she did a great job on her quilt. She looks so proud of herself and she should be. Good teacher Lucy !

Leah S said...

Wow!! What a great day for your daughter. She looks older... until she gives you a bright smile, and then you can't help but be impressed with her skills! :)

cindyquilts said...

Two beauties ... wonderful. Thanks for the great pics.

Tonya R said...

What a sweetie - she did a great job.

Sandra said...

And the world always need new quilters! What a wonderful story and gorgeous pictures - she did a great job! I can understand your headache LOL - but it's worth it :-)

Cathi said...

How wonderful! Both my girls love my fabric and my 3 yo wants to sew...but still a little young yet. The 18 month old already says fabric!! ("faby")

I love her name, Isis, very Egyptian!! Is that a common Dutch name?

Carolyn said...

Oh, Lucy, what a wonderful story! You must be so proud of Isis. She did a wonderful job and on a hand crank machine? That's a whole different skill level...it makes her quilt even more impressive! Isis and her quilt are beautiful. I also love the view out your window as you sew...

La Tea Dah said...

What a wonderful afternoon with your dear daughter! I enjoyed our story so much! A new quilter is born and she is beautiful! Thanks for starting my day out with 'inspiration'. Several years ago I taught 'home economics' to an entire classroom of 11 - 14 year old children. Can you imagine 30 sewing machines in one room with that many children of those ages, all learning how to operate a machine and learn to sew? Oh my, I know how you feel with the headache by the end of the day!

Thanks for sharing!

Debra Dee said...

Does Isis give lessons in using the hand-crank machine? I have one of these beautiful machines and have never used it. I use the excuse that I am wainting for the electricity to go out. In any case Isis is a beautiful young lady and has done an excellent job.

Tracey said...

I had to LOL when you said that you had a headache from all of the talking and hearing "NO I can do that by myself"!! That is my youngest dd exactly! A VERY independent gal (gee...did I pass that on to her?) and determined. She's a *beautiful* quilter and is so lucky to have a mom like you. :o)

cher said...

hand cranks are great for teaching children to sew on! I taught my boys on my treadle..too bad they did not stay interested-your Isis made a wonderful first quilt-and how great to have all those pictures showing her learning-a treasure of memories.

Finn said...

Love the story and the pictures. You did a great job!! And so did she!!! She might need to have her own stash soon...LOL. Great little first quilt. And she is still so small...wonderful!

Sewcatherine said...

That is just too sweet. What a great day...but I know what you mean about all the talking. My daughter wants me to stop what I am doing and look at her while she talks!!! Aaaahhh. Can't get anything done.

Inga Helene said...

What a nice quilt she made. The crafts you teach her now, will be with her forever. Thank you for the link you sent me in your comment.

Inga

Holly said...

You made me smile because I know how girls like to talk! It's wonderful that one of your girls wants to learn how to quilt. She will follow in her mom's footsteps some day.

YankeeQuilter said...

Botht the quilt and your daughter are adorable! She has a good eye for fabric!

Siobhan

Darcie said...

Your story and in-the-process pcitures of Isis was delightful to read and see! Having two independent daughters of my own, I can just see it all as you have described! And hear it too!!!

You're a patient Mom. Take a bow!

Joanne said...

What a beauty your daughter is, Lucy. And she should be proud of her accomplishment! Good for her! I can only hope my granddaughter will want to learn (although, I haven't given up on my 30 yr. old daughter yet!).
And I love the baby quilt for your brother's child.
And, the Dutch doll quilt is great!
(Can you tell I'm just now catching up on reading?!)

Dona said...

Lucy, what fun you must have had with your lovely daughter. Great pictures for her album. I had to go look at a map to see where the Netherlands are. I'm also Dutch and my grandparents imigrated from the Netherlands which Dad always called Holland. LOL