Saturday, April 29, 2006

Friday!

Friday morning was spent in Haarlem. We had made plans to bike down town to visit the Corrie ten Boom Museum
I hope you will take time to click the link and read the story, because it is a lovely story about the "hiding place"in Corrie's house where they helped many Jews escape the hands of the nazis.


The tour guide was very knowledgeable, and gave a great presentation on the history of "the hiding place". Unlike the Anne Frank Museum, the Corrie ten Boom house is furnished with period furnishings, so you get the feeling of what it would have been like during that time. All the houses I have been in are very tall, and have narrow climbing stairways which helps you understand how things were for people hiding there. There is a false wall built into Corrie's bedroom..they did build it with brick that they smuggled in in the cases of grandfather clocks from the clock shop (so neighbors wouldn't suspect they were building a brick wall in the house) and the hiding place was through the closet, behind the wall.


It was a great place to visit, especially because Lucy had not been inside before either. She knew the story, knew the place, but had never been in. So it was a first for us both and we really enjoyed it.

8 comments:

Inga Helene said...

How interesting to read about all you two experience this week. The stories from WW2 are very interesting and I think we must not forget them. We have to learn from the mistakes our ancestors commited.

Inga

Tina said...

Hi chicks, I was very lucky to have meet Corie ten Boom when I was a young girl, she was visiting our church the Crystal Cathedral, Rev. Robert Schullers Church she was an amazing woman and shared her life with our concregation many times... Thank you for sharing the web site it was very interesting...Hugs Tina

Judy said...

What an museum. I bookmarked the link so I can go visit tomorrow when I have more time to read. It's such amazing story. I can't imagine having to live through that time. Thanks for sharing ladies.

JudyL said...

I'm loving reading what you two are doing. I've read The Hinding Place and would love to see the house. Sounds like you are having a *wonderful* time together!

Judy L.

Patty said...

What fun you two are having ! I love reading about what you both are doing and enjoy seeing the photos

Michele said...

I remember borrowing Corrie ten Boom's book from the library several times as a teenager. I always think of this story when I open the wardrobe in my bedroom, as I have a large hidey hole in there. I am glad you are having a good time in The Netherlands, it is a lovely country.

Alena said...

I also read the book, I would recomend it to everyone, it was the first book dealing with II world was matter which did not fill be only with sorrow and despair but first of all with loads of hope... truly beautiful book and really beautiful people it shows...

Dawn said...

Wow, can you imagine having to hide in that space in the Boom Museum. What a terrible time for people to have lived. I'm so glad you and Bonnie shared pictures with us.