Sunday, April 23, 2006

Our Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean.....


HI GANG!

I'm sitting here at Lucy's desk uploading a pic that Natasja just took of us sitting on the couch...the same couch I have seen in pictures for over 2 years....today I SAT ON IT!

The flight was long.....I slept a little bit, but there was a man 2 rows up who would snore and snort intermittently and break the silence. Just when I was finally getting some better sleep, the pilot came on announcing that we were 1 1/2 hours from Amsterdam, and breakfast would begin being served, Good Morning! *AUUUGHH!*

I have had a wonderful time meeting Lucy's family today, being treated like a queen with wonderful food (You should smell the indonesian delicacies marinating in the kitchen downstairs for dinner! mmm!) and we went on a fun bike ride through the old part of Haarlem to see the bloemencorso....it is a bunch of "floats"covered in flowers that are on public display through the weekend. The fragrance of the flowers was wonderful! (have pics, will post more later)

Right now I'm really running on almost no sleep. It's just past 3pm here, hard to believe it's just past 9am....I feel like I'm ready to go to bed to sleep a whole night through! My goal is to stay up at least until it is DARK with night here..and sleep the whole night through and then maybe by morning I will feel semi human :c)

Lucy just asked me to write about the most amazing thing I have seen so far...... I would have to say it is the BUILDINGS. They are incredible....all brick..several stories high, and many built in the 1600's. The architecture is wonderful.....There is a cathedral in the center of the down town area where we were that was SO BEAUTIFUL...and everywhere There are things on buildings like dates written in the mortar, or things like gargoyles, pelicans (made out of concrete?) men's heads....just amazing detail. I'll post pics later to my own blog.

Riding bikes here is amazing....special paved lanes for the bikes, and the bike lanes have their own stop lights too...when you come up to a stop light, you have to push the button to get the light to turn green so you can cross the street...kind of like american crosswalks, but these are for bikes, and the green light is a green bike image :c)

We went into a couple of antique shops. I found an old apron....from a traditional dutch costume. It is hand made, with smocking at the waist......a wonderful traditional stripe fabric. I also bought a cute antique (?) travel iron that is really small, and will be a decoration piece next to the old toy sewing machine that Lucy gave me last year when she came to visit.

The old basket quilt top hanging over our heads in the pic is one I brought for Lucy as a surprise. It has been in my hands for the past 10 years and I know I'll never get around to hand quilting it. I think it looks great over "the couch"!

10 comments:

Alena said...

Oh, girls, you look wonderful on the photo - so happy - I am really happy for you, thanks for sharing this lovely encounter! I just got back from the weekend spent at my parents house in the countryside, and to check the blog was the first thing I did - enjoy...

Judy said...

Joy! Joy! Joy! I have been counting down with you both and know you are going to have loads of fun visiting! Can't wait to read the happenings!
Judy

Dawn said...

Oh I"m so happy Bonnie made it safe and sound! And Lucy - what a beautiful surprise! I love that basket quilt hanging over "The Couch"!

And the buildings and town sound marvelous! I cannot wait to see Bonnie's pictures.

But your making me hungry with the talk of food!

Inga Helene said...

You lucky girls. Have fun during your stay, Bonnie.

Inga

Sandra said...

Well - I don't think I've seen two bigger, happier smiles in my life! What a marvellous time we live in - just a few short hours and you're all the way across the ocean! Sounds like your holiday is off to a great start :-)

Tracey said...

LOOK AT YOU GIRLS!!! I'm SO happy for both of you!! :o) How blessed are you to have found each other? Have fun...and check in! :oP

Sarah said...

So glad to hear that Bonnie made it there safely! You two have fun together! We expect to see some progress on those hand sewn projects you are working on at night. Have lots of fun and post lots of pictures.

Sharon said...

How happy you both look! I am excited just reading that you are there!

ForestJane said...

I'm glad you made it safely, Bonnie!

And that couch does look comfy with the two of you sitting on it. :)

Patty said...

Great pictures, with your coloring, you two could be sisters !