Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Week In Holland, Day 3!


What beautiful weather we have had! Everyone keeps remarking on how beautiful the weather has turned out and I am glad I was here for it! Have a seat, a cup of coffee, tea, a diet coke, a lemonade, a large glass of water, whatever suits you, this post is going to take a while!

Before I go any farther, I want to make a statement on yesterday's pictures. I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, or to think that this is all we saw in Amsterdam. We were only in Amsterdam for a few hours yesterday, and the pics are what we saw walking from the train station, to the Anne Frank Huis, and back to the train station. We have more time to spend in Amsterdam on friday, including Den Haan en Wagemakers. They were not open on monday, and that is why we did not go there. We were in a hilarious silly mood when we uploaded yesterday's pictures.

Today we were more traditionally directed! We drove to Marken! Lucy took me to Marken because she loves it so much. They have a sailboat,and have sailed to Marken. When she went last summer she told me about it and how special it was to her and I wanted to see it so much! So today was the day. Maybe you can look at this picture of the boats in the harbor, and imagine Lucy and her family here! I was amazed to see people dressed in traditional dutch costume here. I am more and more in love with the color orange! (yeah cheddar!) and preprations for Queen's Day are well under way with flags hanging all over the little village. A very nice man at the Kerk (church) told us that we were here a few days too early because it is wonderful to experience Marken on Queen's Day! That was okay, we were going to make the most of it, and make the most of it we did!

We walked around the cobbled streets....and everywhere the houses were so unique and beautiful! Flowers are everywhere, in pots by the doors, in window boxes in little manicured gardens. We toured the harbor area, toured a little traditional dutch house set as a museum, sat and drank coffee and tea at an outside table enjoying the view.

We walked every street across bridges and little canals....We went to the museum, and there were pieces of antique clothing for sale...plaids! prints! oh joy! They were about the price of a fat quarter, but these fabrics have a life and a history all their own. So....I can't wait to make a dutch reproduction quilt with them! An Antique store down the road had more pieces of fabric, lots of wonderful items...I looked at each and every and wish I could be bringing home them all! I bought a small antique pair of wood shoes, after watching a man there carving them.
You can buy new ones, but Lucy and I liked the old pair in the antique shop better..they have history.


We grabbed a quick lunch on the go at a little bakery. Ham & cheese cooked inside a yummy croisant, and a filled cookie with choclate on top that was out of this world! So good. This little town also has a grocery store, so it was fun to go in there and see what items they had for sale. It was a very enjoyable day....and we left just in time as 3 big tour busses were pulling in and letting off hoards of...AMERICANS!


Here you can see the man carving the wooden shoes from a log! It was so fun to watch, and it didn't take him long at all before the log was looking more like a wooden shoe. Of course, the silly pic above is of me sitting IN a shoe, because Lucy said so. :cD After Marken, we drove to Monnickendam also part of the Waterland, strolled the streets there and stopped in an antique shop. Not a lot there, but I did buy a fun pastry cutter that I had never seen before. We had a nice dinner at an italian restaurant called La Fermata. Lucy ordered a pizza, and I had a calzone that was out of this world (and I couldn't finish it! Our nice waiter took our pic for us. It's a bit dark, but then you can kind of see the city street outside the window!

It was a wonderful day! There are also many pics that I can't upload them all, so I will plan on loading them MORE after I get home next week! And for dessert...a pic of the treasures we found on Marken.....all antique fabrics, and the little jacket and two little headcoverings, and wooden shoes! (can you find the wooden shoes? Aren't they perfect?? They are old and wonderful and have a history!)

Tomorrow we are staying home in the morning to rest and maybe do some sewing (sewing?? What is sewing?!?) and in the afternoon we are going with the little children to the GOAT FARM!! The children are excited to go and we will have fun spending the afternoon watching them have fun with the goats...feeding them, petting them. Laughter and smiles are the same in every language!

Lucy & Bonnie!

13 comments:

cher said...

More wonderful photos and happy smiling faces-nothing beats teaming up with an online quilty friend in their home country! Keep cramming in all the fun possible-you can sleep when you get back to the States Bonnie! :-)

Tracey said...

I can't tell you how much FUN I'm having 'seeing' it all with you girls!! I can't imagine the fun and laughter you two are having...and am SO happy for you both. Keep the pics coming!

Sharon said...

Love the finds, and I am sitting here smiling at all the crazy things you girls are up to!

Dawn said...

Your trip is so wonderful! And how I would have loved to see Marken - did you read that book yet Bonnie, I think Anne grew up in Marken. I might have that mixed up, but she lived at some point in Marken. Ask Lucy - she will know!

Patty said...

You two look like you are having so much fun. What a beautiful country. I love all the pictures

Beth said...

I'm really enjoying reading both of your blogs. I am so jealous though!

Carolyn said...

Thanks for sharing all the pictures and adventures...I'm thoroughly enjoying my virtual trip to Amsterdam with you!

Laura said...

You are keeping us all in smiles! Looking forward to more of your adventures!

Judy said...

Don't worry one bit about offending me with your Amsterdam pics. I thought they were fun and silly. I definatly don't think that's all they have to offer there. Nothing wrong with being silly!

Today pictures are wonderful. Marken is so pretty and quaint. It's really great "seeing" you two have so much fun together! Thanks for sharing!

Patti said...

I feel like I'm following along behind you. I'm so loving reading about your trip!

tami said...

You guys seem to be having so much fun. Love the fabrics and can't wait to see the Dutch insprired quilt.

Tina said...

I'm so glad you guys are sharing your time with us, I feel like I'm there with you. I love the wooden shoes and the fabric is wonderful...

Tonya R said...

Ooh, I'm so envious of the plaid collection. Dutch fabrics are marvelous. Can't wait to see the quilt made out of them. Glad you are having such a blast together.