Thursday, November 16, 2006

retreat 2

It was so great that we had 4 antique/old quilts at the Show and Tell.

This is a nine patch from the 30's . It is a beauty in simplicity I think . And the quilting is very interesting!




Next quilt is from 1880... On the quilt are blue marking lines. We try to find out why? I heard that it could be that the quilt is quilted by a another generation in the 20's because the blue markers were populair at that time ( thanks kathie :-)




The owner found this quilt in a shop in Canada.It was under a pile of ... "something" And she could take it home with her for a very low price :-)
We don't know the date. It looks like that it was made from pyama's and shirts. The blue border is perfect I think !

6 comments:

Patti said...

Thanks so much for sharing the old quilts. It's a love of old quilts that started me wanting to quilt as a young teenager. No one I knew quilted, but one had one quilt made by my paternal grandmother who died before I was born. I tore pictures of quilts out of magazines whenever I found them - and it the 60's that was very seldom. Old quilts are almost alive in the way they make me feel connected to the quilters of the past. These are beauties.

May Britt said...

Thanks for showing us. Old quilts are treasures. I remember my GM having a scrap quilt on her bed, but it does not exist now. I am a bit sad about that. But when she died I was a little child and not interested in quilting. It is so fun to look at the fabric in these quilts. So many different and beautiful. I collect repro and intend to make a "old" quilt sometime.

Bonnie said...

I loved seeing all the quilts! They are so interesting. I also loved the quitling on the 9 patch...simple but beautiful! I also like the bricks one very much!

Bonnie

Dawn said...

Oh I love the one from Canada! That one is wonderful! I saw one like that once in an antique store and almost bought it, didn't and to this day regret it! It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't outrageous either. Oh thanks for the beautiful pics!

YankeeQuilter said...

What wonderful old quilts! I agree with Patty that the quilting may have been done around 1920...from the photo it looks like the quilting is a couple inches apart and if it was prior to 1900 it would most likely have been more densely quilted. My grandmother made a quilt similar to the 1930's one...I'll try and find a photo...

thanks for sharing!

Siobhan

Susan said...

Wonderful old quilts. I miss mine - they can't travel with me, too much weight. That shirtings quilt is just fabulous!