Sunday, December 21, 2008

Hello From Haarlem!

It has been a whirlwind week with the two of us running around non-stop!


My flight arrived at 5:10am Netherlands time on Tuesday. Of course, I was still feeling like it was monday.....my body clock in complete rebellion due to a plane load of screaming babies. :c( I felt so bad for those mothers. I remember what it was like to travel with small children, and if MY body clock was screaming, I can just imagine how the babies felt!


Just about the time things would get quiet, and we would setttle in and start to drift off, the flight attendant would come by with drinks, or coffee, or a meal, or a snack, or the announcement to buckle your seat belt and stay in your seat due to turbulence....you get the idea?


The flight actually got is in almost an hour early! So I was able to go through customs and pick up my luggage quicker than expected, and I came through into the waiting area just after Lucy arrived.


It was very foggy, and felt like another world as we drove from Schipol airport back to Lucy's house. Everyone was still asleep, but soon to wake up and I found myself in the hustle and bustle of a busy family morning. Kids needed breakfast, and off to school they went in their own directions.


A quick shower and pretty soon a knock on the door......the editor and photographer from Quiltmania arrived, along with our quilting friend Joes from Amsterdam for a fun day of interviewing, quilt showing, lunch, and photoshooting!


Wednesday Joes came back to Lucys, bringing with her Tonya and Isabeau, and we enjoyed seeing all of Lucy's projects. Her buffet cabinet reminded me of Mary Poppin's carpet bag.....more quilts came out of there than we possibly could imagine fitting in there!


Thursday, we visited a lovely working windmill, built in 1779! It is still used to this day for grinding grain into flour, and the flour is supplied to many local bakeries who proudly display the fact that their flour comes from this mill. inside the mill you could see how everything is as it always was...no digital or electric ANYTHING! The wind powers the windmill blades, which turn the grinding stones, and the flour comes out where it is bagged.




The workshops were too wonderful to imagine. I am truly humbled beyond words at the kindness of quilters. There were people from everywhere! One lady heard about the workshops, and decided this would be her birthday trip....she came from England. One lady also flew over from SWEDEN....because of the workshop here, she combined the workshop with an excuse to get her husband out of town, so they both came down to spend the weekend in Amsterdam. He walked around and visited the museum while she took the workshop with me. What a nice guy, eh?





Two ladies drove from Belgium.....the class was full, and she had to work, but she finished her work at 1:30pm, and drove over 200km and made it late in the afternoon for the book signing. I was just amazed they would come so far. After the second workshop we had a little gettogether, the quilt shop staff and I, some treats and drinks and visiting. I will post some photos on my blog when I have a chance.






Yesterday we drove to Spakenburg, a lovely old fishing village. The ladies there still where the traditional dutch costume to this day. OH!! Lovely fabrics...plaids and florals! We shopped a bit, ate lunch at the fish market, went to the museum where we had a sweet older lady as a tour guide...(she wore the traditional garb and told us all about it) Last evening we finally got a chance to SIT and put our feet up! Lucy and me....bliss.....both of us on the couch with hand quilting in our laps!




So..that catches me up to TODAY! the last day. What's up for
today? We might do some sewing here. {Piecing a mini for both of us is on our minds, but if we don't...we could each sew up an apron, because we bought fabric for that at IKEA....but I also think that today will be a good day to take a hike in the woods nearby, walking Lucy's dog. Just something simple.


The big send off tonight....Lucy's hubby plays guitar and sings in a blues band, and he has a gig tonight at a local pub. Lucy's brother will join us, and it will be a wonderful fun way to end my week here.


Any regrets? NO! Only there was not enough time to take a lot of good pictures outside. The weather also got in the way. When we went to Amsterdam it was dark, and hard to take pictures...but I have had a terrific time and hope to come back!



Having Fun in Haarlem....


Bonnie & Lucy






21 comments:

Kathie said...

what fun!!!!!
oh LOVE that quilt in the background on the wall with the cheddar...
awesome fabrics in there! such an antiquey feeling that quilt has.
so great that people cam e from all over for the workshops.
can't wait to see more pictures
Kathie

Kieny The Dutchlady said...

Great to see you all had a good time!

Patchwork Penguin said...

Hi Lucy,

I'm Nancy in Pennsylvania. Bonnie stayed with me in November while visiting our guild. It looks like the two of you had a great week. Happy Quilting and Happy Holidays!!

sewprimitive karen said...

It's all so interesting. Sounds like everybody had a wonderful time. I would love to see that historic mill and fishing village.

Quilts And Pieces said...

My only regret - that I wasn't there to have fun with you! And the model I think is wearing my klop-klop!

zizzybob said...

Hi Lucy and Bonnie, I am in love with the string quilt hanging on the wall. Do you know the name of it and where I can find some instructions?
So glad you gals had a good time.
Thanks...............

Gran said...

Ahhhh! I have been checking everyday knowing that you would be having a grand time. And from your blog today you did. Bonnie and Lucy thank you for sharing and especially sharing your quilting joy.
Happy Holidays to you both.

Peachy said...

Sounds like so much fun, ladies! Just 6 more months until we move to Rotterdam and I am looking forward to jumping into the quilting scene in the Netherlands. Can't wait to be back in Europe again!

julieQ said...

I am so glad you had fun! I loved seeing the windmill, maybe someday I can see one in real life.

Christine said...

Oh I have been checking both your blogs everyday to see if you write something about your trip. It sounds like the best time ,how wonderful.

Wishing both of you a very merry christmas.

ps. maybe I can talk my DH in to going to Holland when we are in Germany at the end of February? Will try.

La Tea Dah said...

Thank you, Bonnie, for a wonderful report! I really enjoyed seeing the pictures and hearing of all your adventures together. It's amazing how you got off the plane and hit the ground running! No sleep! Were the quilting workshops at the place where Lucy works? (Were they, Lucy?). I think the quilting world is a very friendly and wonderful place!

Thanks for sharing!
LaTeaDah

Tazzie said...

Wow, what a wonderful time you've both had, and it's gone so fast!
Be sure to have a wonderful Christmas.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

quiltmom said...

Bonnie and Lucy,
What fun the two of you had together- it would have been awesome to meet so many different quilters from different parts of Europe.
I love the quilt that was hanging on the wall in two of the photos- it has diamond shaped pieces that are light fabric- I am guessing that it is one of Bonnie's patterns? Am I correct?
I am sure you had a wonderful evening together and can look forward to another time together in February.
Have a wonderful festive season.
Regards,
Anna

Moorea said...

You two! It is so great to see how much fun you gals have out there in the quilt world. The work shop looked like alot of fun. What a treat to have so many from all over come to be apart of it.
Merry Christmas!

Lazy Gal Tonya said...

you two are such cuties - great photo of you both in front of Bonnie's quilt. It was wonderful to finally meet you, Lucy, and to see your lovely quilts.

Annemiek said...

Wish I had been able to drive to Haarlem and meet you all or at least get a signed copy of Bonnie's book! Glad to read that you had a great time together!

Karen said...

Good time had by all. That's nice. Happy Holiday!

Judy said...

Oh I agree with everyone, you two had so much fun!!

Kim said...

Such good fun! Does my heart good to see those happy smiles of JOY!

anna said...

This is the first time that I visit your blog, and this charms all works that you make for me. Often I will visit your blog. Good Christmas, kisses,
Anna

Leslie said...

Great 'do' and traveloge. Thanks for sharing. But the best photo of all is of the two of you hand stitching side by side. *ahhh*
:cD