Tuesday, January 13, 2009

His name is Rainier!



I received so many name suggestions for my little bear. It was hard to choose! The name 'Hans' made me smile. That was a good idea because the bear makes everybody smile. Thread E bear is also a nice suggestion.
When La Tea Dah suggested the name Rainier I thought: 'That's it!' That's the name where I was looking for!

Look at his face. He is Rainier don't you think?



Let me explain why I like this name so much.
Since I was a little girl my dream was to see snow on the top of the mountain in the summer. Here in the Netherlands there aren't any mountains. I travelled very rarely; I stayed mostly in the Netherlands for vacations. Once we went to Germany. I saw mountains but not with snow on top...
Years went by and I still had my girls dream.
Three years ago, the first time we went to the USA I finally saw snow on a top of the mountains, The Grand Tetons. Wow, I was happy!!
Last year we went to Washington and Oregon. I knew there was snow on the top of MT Rainier. I was so exciting because Inot only saw the snow... no I was able to be in the snow! Yes, in summer, dressed in a tanktop and skirt! My girls dream was a lifetime experience.


My family in the snow!


Look how high the snow was! On Mt Rainier!

Lucy



Book:

This is the book I used for knitting Rainier.

Teddyberen breien
Sandra Polley

the ISBN number is:90-231-3509-3

I think this must be almost the same book in English.

The knitted Teddy bear by Sandra Polley

If I look inside there are different pictures in this book as mine. But it's almost the same.

The bear on the front cover from this book is 'Rainier'. It's the same picture as in my book.

26 comments:

Kathie said...

beautiful pictures and oh what an adorable bear!

janet said...

What a lovely wee bear and a lovely story to go with his name.

tracey said...

rainer is a lovely name. i'm glad that hans gave you a smile though! maybe it could be his middle name. :o)

have a great day!

tracey

Amy said...

Lucy,
I am so glad you got to go to the Tetons.I LUV that place.I like the name you chose for the little bear.

karenfae said...

Beautiful pictures in the snow - we love the mountains and the snow also in the middle of the summer, we go to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone every other year or so and go camping.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Darcie said...

Rainier is the perfect name for your little knitted bear! He is adorable!

Love the fabulous pictures!

Idaho Quilter said...

Oh my goodness YES Rainier IS the cutest bear I have ever seen. You must really enjoy working in minatures. Your tiny quilts are always adorable too. I am happy you were able to visit our Great Northwest.

Bonnie said...

It's the perfect name! And I love seeing these pics of your trip. Great memories,yes?

Bonnie

Thimbleanna said...

Ohmygosh! He's so cute. Thanks for sharing the book information!

Connie said...

Have to love your name. I live in the foothills of OUR mountain, MT Rainier!

La Tea Dah said...

Oh Lucy --- how wonderful!!!!! I just love Rainier --- and knew it was his name the moment I saw him! AWESOME!

I am going to think up some way to blog about Rainier.

Thank you for mentioning Gracious Hospitality.

Love
LaTeaDah

julieQ said...

Ranier is so cute! What a wonderful job you did to put all those tiny pieces together. We too have visited Mt Ranier, and we loved it too.

Quilts And Pieces said...

It is a PERFECT name!

Nana's Quilts said...

Oh Lucy - of course, I love the name. I live very near to the real Mt. Rainier - I wish I had known you were here. Please come again and next time call me.

Marne

Kristi in the Western Reserve said...

What a darling little bear! And a perfect name, even without the wonderful personal connection. I wonder if I am brave enough to try this?

Karen said...

What a perfect name...and especially since it means so much to you. It's beautiful country in Washington. Thanks for the info on the book;)

Libby said...

Perfect! Rainier will be the perfect reminder of fulfilling your childhood dream *s*

Judy said...

Lovely family pictures and a lovely name for such a sweet bear!

Jennifer said...

What a lovely little bear! Are you going to make him a Bear's Paw quilt? He will need to keep warm.

Jennifer in Australia

Patti said...

The name is perfect! You never mentioned your dream before. Now I'm doubley and more glad that I told you to visit Mt. Rainier. One of our all time favorite places - we try to go at least once each summer.

FabricMom said...

What a cute bear and a perfect name. Thanks for sharing the pictures in the snow. How pretty.

Gran said...

Brilliant!

Great Pictures with wonderful memories that inspired his name.

I hope all is well with you and your beautiful family.

Jacqui's Quilts said...

Wat een hardstikke leuk beertje :-)! Love little Rainier. Almost makes me want to pick up my knitting needles!

Jacqui in Canada

sarahmurray said...

Oh he's the cutest little bear I have ever seen! You did such an amazing job. He is wonderful! x

hetty said...

He's the cutest little bear I ever saw! The name Rainier is perfect! And I love your story that goes with it!

YankeeQuilter said...

Great name for the little bear!