Thursday, October 15, 2009

Elk Rapids Gwen Marston part 2

A highlight for me this trip was to meet Nancy Ray. Nancy is the owner of the antique tulip quilt I was inspired by to make my own version. It is published in Gwen's book Liberated String Quilts. Nancy went to Gwen's retreat the week before I came. She stayed a few days longer just to meet me, how lucky was I? She wanted to meet me and showed me the original quilt. It was so special to see them together. Unfortunately I can show you a little peek of them together becuase some of the pictures will be hopefully published in Quiltmania march issue. My quilt will be published with a pattern. Isn't that amazing!



I also met Biz Storms and mary Elizabeth Kinch, authors of the book Small Blocks Stunning Quilts. A lovely book! I can highly reccomend this book if you are a lover from reproduction fabrics and quilts.
We took pictures of everything but I don't have a picture of us together. I know there were taken pictures. Hopefully the girls have them and will send them to me and I will post them later.


I am impressed by how small the world is. Carol from Quilt as Desired blog showed her quilt made by Dutch fabrics. Her mom and aunt bought these dutch fabrics in the shop where I work! Actually I helped her aunt choose fabrics. Isn't it amazing that Carol from Canada and me from The Netherlands now met each other in the USA and that I was able to see what Carol did with her Dutch fabrics :-)



And here she is, my idol, Gwen Marston with a pile of her beautiful quilts next to her...



to be continued....

Lucy

22 comments:

Karen said...

The Dutch fabric quilt is very appealing. I like the reds & blues. I ordered some Dutch fabric a number of years ago. Wish I could have purchased a larger quantity but it was rather expensive.

Susan In Texas said...

Congratulations on getting your quilt published with a pattern! That's so exciting. I'll have to look out for the March issue to see it for myself.

That little Dutch fabric quilt is adorable. I love the flying geese with the pinwheel corners and the log cabin center - lovely! I've never really heard of "Dutch" fabric before, but now I'll have to look for some at the quilt show in Houston this weekend. I'm so excited to be going for the first time. 8-)

All the best,
Susan
http://susanintexas.blogspot.com

Janet said...

I can imagine what a wonderful time you must have had on retreat. The dutch quilt is lovely and it must have been quite e thrill to see it.

Ria said...

Ik ben heel benieuwd naar je quilt in Quiltmania!! Wat een schitterende reis heb je gehad! Echt heel bijzonder!

Janet said...

So we have to wait until March... How exciting to see the antique quilt that inspired you. Wow it looks like you had a marvelous time! I'd sure like to see the quilts in the pile next to Gwen :0)

Lazy Gal Tonya said...

what a great retreat and what a bonus to meet Nancy.

Jacqui's Quilts said...

So fun that you met Carol!! She and I are members of the same guild and I absolutely loved the Dutch quilt when she took it for show and tell awhile ago. I noticed from Bonnie's blog that you were going to this retreat and wondered if you'd meet Carol! She wasn't at the guild meeting last week because she was there :-). Small world for sure. someday I'm going to get to Holland buy some of those fun Dutch fabrics!!

Jacqui in Candaa

Clare said...

Thanks for the heads up on the Quiltmania March issue. Something to look forward to!

Liberated String Quilts is my favourite Gwen book and I love Nancy's antique string quilts.

Kristi in the Western Reserve said...

Reading your blog is always a pleasure. I think we love the same sort of quilts and maverick spirit.

Marisa said...

That is a lovely photo of Gwen. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. It makes me want to make a big stack of quilts just like that.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Lucy! I wish I could have met up with you. What a wonderful time you had! The big wedding is this weekend! I would have never been able to squeeze it in. Oh and who is that tall sexy woman in the picture on Bonnie's blog? Wait - it can be - it is! Lucy! Just had to throw that in.

gertvr said...

Hi Lucy, I'm reading your blog on a regular basis with Google Reader, but until now I didn't realize you are Dutch (net als ik ^_^) Today I read that you work in a quiltshop. And I *love* visiting new quiltshops, so I was wondering in which shop you work. (if it's in Amsterdam, we could have met yesterday, 'cause I was there, but hey, there are more places with good quiltshops beside Amsterdam ^_^)
Groet, Gert

Anna said...

ik kwam via via op je blog terecht!
Ik vind patchwork en quilten helemaal super...vooral de patronen van de Amish people vind ik prachtig!
Ik heb zelf ooit een cursus gehad, en 1 werkstuk gemaakt! maar daarna nooit meer iets mee gedaan! wel jammer eigenlijk!!!
het is zooooo mooi!
Ik heb wel allerlei andere hobbies..
kijk maar eens op mijn blog

http://artfulldelight.blogspot.com/

julieQ said...

I am so glad of you, Lucy! And equally happy that you got to see Gwen, what fun.

Blanket said...

Very nice design here...bright and attractive.

Obama

Kristi in the Western Reserve said...

I'm getting so eager to read the continuation you mentioned! It's almost a month. But I bet you are very busy! Wishing you well with happy days........

YankeeQuilter said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

Kristi in the Western Reserve said...

Oh, Lucy, I hope you and all your family are well. I am worried that you have not posted anything in so long....

bethstrand said...

Lucy,
I stumbled onto your blog while trying to find a new batting source and wanted to say I love your quilts and photos...Gwen is a big hero of mine, too. I took a class with her in Sisters when I was going through a divorce. It was a perfect time to learn "liberated" quiltmaking!
Best wishes,
Beth

Blanket America said...

The world has shrunk really and I am so happy to hear that there is such a good a creative exchange between the two of you.

throw

Diane said...

Lucy, I miss your posts. Happy New Year!

pinewood said...

Hi Lucy, your blog is really inspiring, a great read.
I am hoping to do a class with Gwen Marston in July at the New Zealand quilt symposium. Your quilts are really lovely.