Sunday, April 03, 2011

Cross- stitch

Sometimes I like to do a little cross-stitch project. This time I made a little present for a friend. Years ago I found a book from I think late 60's about the history of cross stitch samplers and it is included with some patterns. Merklappen by G.E. Boone-Stolp It's a really nice book.



I choose to make a nice flower basket.

I wanted to make a pincushion but it became bigger then I thought. (I'm not an experienced cross- stitcher ;-). After finishingit I aged it with coffee dye I left it open and send it to my friend Kathie and let her choose to fill it with lavender or to make a pincushion of it.

Lucy


14 comments:

Bonnie K Hunter said...

This is really beautiful Lucy! I'm sure she will love it!

Bonnie

Kathie said...

oh Lucy I just LOVE it and its so nice to see where the pattern came from and a few in process pictures!
thanks again I will treasure it as cross stitch and I haven't become friends yet!
Kathie

regan said...

It's lovely! Beautiful stitches!

A Quilter Awakens said...

That came out gorgeous! I love collecting vintage reference and pattern texts, too. I love your post; the pictures are wonderful. Karmen

Taryn said...

What a pretty little piece that is! Lucky (and very deserving) Kathie!

Sue said...

That's a beautiful cross-stitch. I love how you aged it too!

jovaliquilts said...

It's really beautiful! I have used tea dye, but never coffee -- great idea!

Ann's Quilting - Journey said...

Oh it is so beautiful Lucy. I am making a similar one from a Stacy Nash design. Lucky Kathie! You are always an inspiration Lucy, all the very best!

Janet said...

So very pretty Lucy! A delightful gift.

Hege LH said...

What a treasure this is - both the book and the embroidery - just beautiful! :-)

Sarah said...

What a loverly gift. I think the coffee dye was a wonderful choice. I would have made it into a lavendar sachet because I would hate to stick pins in your wonderful work!

Bertie said...

Gorgeous, you chose such lovely colours for your pincushion:) have this book myself, I must be more creative too when seeing this:))

teddy edwards said...

This is such a lovely cross stitch. I have never thought of aging a piece with coffe but am excited to try it out. Great blog - I am in awe of your quilts.


http://teddyedwards65.blogspot.com/

Magiking said...

very pretty design...........really.